Monday, June 1, 2009

Some reasons why moving Stinks

Moving is like unpacking a box from Wal-Mart. Once you take it out of the box you can not get it back in the way it was. I just spent one week moving. I only moved six blocks away but in alot of ways it feel like it was miles away. How can it take so long to move such a short distance? My boys were wonderful they moved so much and worked so hard doing it. It still feels like the work will never be done.
I have noticed when you take your furnishings out of your house and into the daylight and the neighborhood your stuff looks crappy. As you load it on the Uhal you ask your self "Why am I taking this, it looks like a piece of junk?" You hurry to get it in the Uhal and hurry to get it in the house before the new neighbors see it. Once it is in the new house it doesn't look so bad. I find that odd.
Moving can be wonderful too. It makes you clean that unseen dirt that never bothered you before. But once you start there is no end to it. You also find all of those little things that you have been looking for and just couldn't find.
In every move you will have atleast one person that walks into your house when there are boxes all over your house, place is trashed, and your trashed and tired but yet this person will say "Are you moving?" You just want to say "No Spring Cleaning." It reminds me of the Here's your Sign guy. He tell the neighbor "No we just like to pack all of our stuff up and see how many boxes it takes." I mean come on what are they thinking?
Nothing ever fits. I have a collection of dryer cords for new houses. The new plug can never be the same as the old plug. Would it really hurt the world to use one universal plug? What could be wrong with that?
Even the cable guy thinks this was a tough move. They send me out a cable guy who is in his late 30's and he really didn't want to work on this particular day. He had to run a new line to the house and take the one in the living room and put it in the dinning room. I hooked up everything for him but I have never heard so much huffing or gripping before. It was like telling your nine year old boy to take a bath.
Finally, you get the comments from people who, like never move. I have lived in Kansas, Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. I seem to be the perfect target for those who have lived on the same block for their whole lives. I am checking on this one house and somehow the topic of all the places I lived came up. And the lady says to me "you sure move alot." I am thinking "no not really" I just left Kansas and I was there for ten years, that's a decade, feels like along time for me. She couldn't imagine living in more than one place and for those like me we can't imagine looking down the block and seeing our whole lives looking back at us.
No doubt I will move again eventually. This time I am going to hope that moveing is like childbirth. After awhile I will forget the pain and be willing to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment